Organizing Your Warehouse
If you don't have a properly organized warehouse then you are asking for a lot of trouble. Your employees won't be able to work efficiently because they won't be able to find what they are looking for and you may find that you are having a high amount of accident reports being filled out, which is a definite problem. The tips here will help you get your warehouse properly organized which will save you time, money and worry.
Organizing the warehouse
In order to get that warehouse organized in a way that makes sense and allows everything to be found and accessible quickly you want to follow these tips:
- Sort: Evaluate your inventory and sort it into sections that make sense. Remove old inventory that is no longer needed so it isn't taking up unnecessary space and confusing things.
- Order: Once everything is sorted, unnecessary clutter has been removed and everything makes sense, you want to come up with a strategy that details the order everything will be displayed in.
- Train: Once you have come up with a plan for stocking inventory and you know where everything goes, you want to make sure your staff are all trained, so they don't continue through with the old bad habits of putting things everywhere with no rhyme or reason.
Use a pallet racking system
You want to begin installing a pallet racking system: This part may take time to get through the entire warehouse, but it is worth it in the end. It will make everything easier to get at, as well as to stock. Plus, it will give the warehouse a professional design and make it easier and safer for employees to get at products. Some of the benefits of having a pallet racking system throughout your warehouse include:
- They save money by making things run efficiently
- They cut down on accidents by making everything easy to get at
- They allow you to create more floor space which allows more room for forklifts and other equipment
- The extra space they create also means you can stack more items
- Your warehouse will look professional which is important for employee moral, as well as investors impressions
Have a recycle system in place
Implement a system for recycling. Not only can this prevent the company from wasting materials, but it also allows you to earn the reputation for being an environmentally friendly company which is something employees can take pride in and customers will appreciate.